- Delhi excise policy case: SC to hear plea filed by AAP leader Sanjay Singh on Monday
- Alliance University's convocation 2023 marks academic triumph
- Notepad gets character count in latest Windows 11 update
- Vishnu Deo Sai named new Chhattisgarh CM
- Badminton: Ashwini-Tanisha pair wins women's doubles title at Guwahati Masters
- Huge fire erupts at mini-refinery in Iran
- Telangana government to give priority to improving Hyderabad-Vijayawada highway
- Cyclone Michaung: Bengal CM announces compensation for farmers affected by untimely rains
- AP Governor arrives in Vizag
- Hamas men surrender in South Gaza: IDF
Ujjain minor girl rape case: Main accused arrested; tries to flee
The Madhya Pradesh Police on Thursday claimed to have arrested the main accused in the Ujjain minor girl rape case.
Bhopal: The Madhya Pradesh Police on Thursday claimed to have arrested the main accused in the Ujjain minor girl rape case.
The arrested individual has been identified as Bharat Soni, a resident of Ujjain.
Earlier on Thursday, Ujjain SP Sachin Sharma said that a total of five suspects were detained for questioning.
One of them was detained on Wednesday, while four were detained on Thursday.
Sharma said that the victim hails from Satna district.
Meanwhile, the main accused who had been apprehended, tried to escape from police custody and collided with a cemented wall following which he was admitted to a government hospital, police Inspector Ajay Kumar said.
Interacting with the press, the police officer said when the accused was taken to the crime spot, he tried to escape.
"He (accused) ran away from the spot. However, the police personnel chased him. In the mean time, he collided with a cemented wall and got injured," Kumar said.
He further said one of the cops chasing the accused also got injuries but eventually, the accused was overpowered.
When asked if the accused sustained injury due to police firing, Kumar denied, saying: "He collided with a cemented wall."
"Victim's family has lodged a missing complaint on September 24. The girl has traveled from Satna to Ujjain," SP Sharma said.
The incident has sparked a political controversy in poll-bound Madhya Pradesh.
The opposition Congress has questioned the law and order situation under the BJP government in the state.
AICC general secretary Priyanka Gandhi, who is leading the Congress' campaign in the poll-bound state of MP, slammed the BJP government for the incident.