- Grand opening of Interwood’s 16th Exclusive Brand outlet at Hyderabad
- Rakesh Sharma Director of ITV Group elected as new president of INS
- Asian Games: India stun Korea for historic maiden entry in men's team badminton final
- Asian Games: India thrash Pakistan 10-2, hand archrivals biggest defeat ever
- Hockey Association of Odisha beat Hockey Jharkhand in Sub-Junior men, women finals
- Day after alleged manhandling, model turned actress Archana Gautam suspended from Congress
- Asian Games: Indian Men's Hockey Team stuns Pakistan, picks dominant 10-2 win
- Foreign intelligence agency involved in terror incidents in Pak, claims Minister
- Tribal party sponsored 12-hour bandh hits normal life in Tripura’s tribal areas
- US misses the 'bigger picture' on row with Canada, says Jaishankar
Rampachodavaram: Flood-hit tribals on innovative protest
- They demand that the government make immediate payment of compensation
- Plea to include them in R&R package
Rampachodavaram(ASR District): Fed up with flood woes, tribal victims of Polavaram flood zones staged a protest in a novel way by standing in the floodwater, demanding that the government should pay the compensation immediately to them. The agitation took place in Pochavaram village of Kunavaram mandal in Alluri Sitarama Raju district on Wednesday.
Aggrieved that mud has accumulated in their houses and there is no electricity supply, the tribals have complained that dengue and malaria are rampant in the area due to the menace of mosquitoes. The Adivasi Mahasabha and other organisations criticised both the Central and State governments for being extremely negligent in the matter of R&R for the Polavaram residents.
Criticism is pouring in that residents are being ruthlessly drowned in water by conducting false surveys in the name of contour calculations.
The victims were angry that the government is planning to give the package according to 41.5 contours without considering the facts and saying that only two or three villages in the mandal are eligible. The villagers of Pochavaram Colony in Kunavaram mandal, who were inundated by the floodwater, stood in deep water and demanded that R&R package should be given to them immediately. They wanted their village to be included in the 41.5 contour. The villagers informed that not even a single house was left in their village and everything was submerged in water due to the flood.